Friday, December 21, 2012

Moving On


Death
 
What do you think of with this word?  Do you think of something morbid or sad?  Does is bring up memories of loved ones lost?  Maybe this word elicits fear?  Recently, I was able to see death from a little different perspective with the passing of my 101 year old grandfather in law.  To sum his passing in a single word;
 
Bravery
 
When we pass on from this life, don’t we all want to do so with dignity, knowing full well that the life we lived was filled to the brim with love, adventures and meaning? And that we lived bravely?  I figure the only way to die bravely, is to live bravely.
 
Bravery takes work!  Bravery is rarely easy, and it often can make others angry.  Bravery is not following the herd, it is leading the herd.  Bravery means being courageous, and having the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty or intimidation.
 
This is interesting for me, as I am in the midst of many transitions with varying levels of change right now.  As I approach change, I want to do so bravely!  There is plenty of room for fear to creep into my thoughts, but I don’t want fear to be a driving force behind my thoughts!  My thoughts lead to action (or inaction).  Action or inaction is my life, right?!
 
How does the topic of death, bravery and fear apply to your health?  What I really want you to think about is the fundamental concept of HOW you do health.  How do you go about making decisions about leading a healthy lifestyle or not?  Are you proactive or reactive?  I want you to live bravely, without fear, and I want that to be the fundamental approach you have each and every day towards your health.  If you can answer this fundamental question (how do you do health?), and it feels good in your gut, and is congruent with who you are and who you want to be, then great!!  If not, you’ve got some serious work to do.  I know you want to live a life filled to the brim with love, adventures and meaning.  So go, live bravely!

No comments:

Post a Comment