Thursday, November 1, 2012

Inner Strong

“You don’t know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” - Unknown
 
When it comes to our health, it is easy to blame outside influence for our dis-ease, disease, and our poor lifestyle choices.  In reality though, we can be our own worst enemy when it comes to taking good care of ourselves.  Ultimately you are responsible for yourself, your actions or lack of actions, and the way you respond in life.  Only you are responsible for you (unless you are a child).
 
Last weekend I competed in my first ever mud run.  It was great!  6.2 miles and 28 obstacles found me pushing myself to my physical and mental limits.  I ran up and down a mountain, jumped over, swam under, and climbed over obstacles, and when I crossed the finish line totally exhausted (and muddy), I knew what I had just accomplished was good.  Why did I do a mud run?  Was it for the exercise?  No.  Was it to get the t-shirt proving that I participated?  No.  Was it to test myself, and gauge what my inner strength and perseverance really looks like?  Yes.  I mention this experience because deep down we all want to know we are strong, and we want to know that when we are pushed to our limits our strength will shine.

 
This begs the question; where does inner strength come from?  I encourage you to think about this for yourself.  Write down a list of where your strength comes from and contemplate on your list.
 
When our life is moving along with relative consistency and ease, making healthy lifestyle choices and achieving and maintaining good health is mostly accomplishable.  The real test is when life throws a curve ball, life is messy (or muddy), and our inner strength is tried, challenged, and our resolve shaken.  How will you respond?  Will you dig deep and make even healthier choices for your life?  Will you crumple or drift?  You don’t know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
 
Having strength of will is a daily choice, and deciding to make healthy decisions can be a daily challenge. 
 
As I look forward to my next physical and mental challenge (perhaps a century bike race, a 10 mile mud run, a half-marathon, or pick up a new sport (rock climbing?)), it feels good to know that my inner strength was strong enough to accomplish the mud run last weekend.  Despite the messiness of life, I choose to approach today with strength of will and to make healthy lifestyle decisions.  Will you? 
 
Be Inner Strong!
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this Dr. Luke! So very true! ~ Bobbi

    ReplyDelete